The following workflow represents the current work process in place at the UC Davis library when creating an authority record for a personal or corporate name. It is one of the work functions that will be converted to a native Linked Data workflow as part of the project.
- Librarians – Highest level of experience.
- Cataloging Specialist – Medium level of experience .
- Supporting systems and tools (e.g. harvesting daemon).
User Story: ”As a library cataloger I need to create a set of metadata elements in OCLC for a person or organization (called authority record) that will describe it for helping Library patrons to discover different works when searching a person’s or organization’s name in OCLC and replicate that authority record in the local integrated library system.”
- A new set of metadata elements about a person or organization (authority record) will be present in the OCLC Authority File.
- The new set of metadata elements about a person or organization (authority record) will be replicated locally in the ALEPH database.
- New resource is delivered to cataloger.
- The library is a member of the Name Authority Cooperative Program (NACO).
- Cataloger has access to OCLC system.
- Cataloger must have access to the following online resources: Cataloger’s Desktop, ClassWeb, RDA Toolkit, AACR2 (online accessed through RDA Toolkit), MARC21 for Bibliographic and authority data (OCLC website). NACO Participants’ Manual (LC website), Authorities: Create Name Authority Records (OCLC website).
- Cataloger must knowledge of cataloging rules (AACR2 & RDA), MARC format (authority), foreign language(s).
- Cataloger has access to biographic reference resources and various online directories of companies or company histories.
- Cataloger has access to Virtual International Authority File (VIAF) and Library of Congress Authority File.
- Library contracts a vendor to perform authority control.
Bib record and authority record are present in OCLC Worldcat database. Holdings record and item record are present in local ILS.
A new resource is delivered to cataloger.
- Log in OCLC Connexion Client.
- Search OCLC Authority File to ensure no authority record exists.
- Search LC Authority File to ensure no authority record exists.
- Search OCLC WorldCat Database for the predominant usage and any other relevant information.
- Open appropriate workform (i.e., Personal Name, Corporate Name).
- Fill out fixed fields.
- Fill out variable fields.
- Save the record to online.
- The authority record is being picked up by the Library’s authority control vendor and distributed to the Library to load into Aleph.
Instead of using workform as a template, cataloger may use one of the following two methods:
- 4.a.1. Derive a new name authority records from an existing record (precondition: an authority record exists for a related or similar name).
- 4.a.2. Generate an authority record from a name heading from a bibliographic record using an OCLC-supplied macro (precondition: the heading for which you want to create an authority record is used in a bibliographic record that meets NACO criteria for a source record)
User Interface Requirements
User interface for current work-flows are determined by existing software packages.
- Do we need more steps related to how authority records are distributed back to the Library?